Friday 24 April 2009

Cakes











Well, I've finished icing my neices Christening cakes and really pleased that its gone ok. I'm only a hobby cake decorator, birthdays & Christmas etc.
When they got married 2 years ago, they asked me to ice the wedding cakes. 3 square ones, plain iced with a ribbon around the bottom edge, all very simple. Everything was planned, until my mum said we would take them up 1 week early. We were on holiday for the first 10 days of May and that would leave me 10 days to ice 3 cakes. I said I'm not doing it and took them to a "proffesional cake decorator". When I collected them I had a quick peek inside the boxes, paid and left. When I got home I cried, hubby called my mum as he didn't know what to do. The cakes were terrible. They weren't on the boards square. The icing was different thicknesses around the edges and it wasn't level on the top. Luckily mum knew someone Kathy of Long Sutton who came to the rescue. She removed the icing and started again. The first lady had even left the chunks of apricot on the cake when putting the marzipan on, she went bankrupt last year so can't inflict this upon anyone else!!!

This is how it looked on the day, after a major repair job.



This is how the "Pro" did their wedding cake!!!








I wanted to prove, to myself and sis-in-law that I can do it. Confidence restored!! Lesson learnt, always check things properly before leaving the shop!!




No comments:

Post a Comment